Alex Wilkie Nature Reserve
DISCOVER the natural beauty of Alex Wilkie Nature Reserve at open days held every Friday and the third Sunday of the month.
Take a picnic and wander the grounds to view a variety of flora and fauna. Park rangers are available for guided tours.
- Alex Wilkie Nature Reserve, Mackay Street, Springvale South.
A HIGHLIGHT of the program still to come is the ‘Open Studio Weekend’ on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 August. Seven local studios and galleries will open their doors to the public to showcase their work, as well as conduct demonstrations and some workshops. The City of Casey will be running a hop-on, hop-off bus on the Saturday which will travel between the different open studio sites so residents can explore the many wonderful exhibitions throughout the city. There will also be some music acts, concerts, workshops and art exhibitions taking place throughout August.
- To check out the entire list of events as part of the Winter Arts Festival visit: www.casey.vic.gov.au/winterarts
Mia Salsjo developed multi-layered and collaged silkscreen prints during a residency in Havana, Cuba, last year. The Havana Suite exhibition captures her response to Cuban design, life and politics.
- Walker Street Gallery and Arts Centre, corner Walker and Robinson streets, Dandenong. Thursday 4 to Saturday 27 August. 11am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 11am to 3pm Saturdays.
MYUNA Farm in Doveton hosts a produce swap on the second Saturday of every month where residents can swap their excess home-grown produce with other participants. Produce swaps are not only for swapping home-grown fruit and vegetables but participants can also bring along items including eggs, seeds and seedlings, flowers and compost. There is no money exchanged, just items swapped. New participants are welcome and no bookings are required.
- Myuna Farm, 182 Kidds Road, Doveton, second Saturday of every month. Contact on 9706 9944.
Venation in art
Five contemporary Australian artists explore the veins of histories and customs in this exhibition, though photography, tapestry and printmaking. Venation refers to the arrangement of veins, as in a leaf or in the wing of an insect.
- Walker Street Gallery and Arts Centre, corner Walker and Robinson streets, Dandenong. Thursday 4 to Saturday 27 August, 11am to 5pm weekdays and 11am to 3pm Saturdays.
PARTICIPATE with more than 100 others in a free five-kilometre timed event every Saturday morning. The event caters for serious runners and for those wanting a jog or even a walk.
- Saturdays at 8am at Berwick Springs. Visit the Berwick Springs Parkrun website for more information.