Tasty tunes at lunchtime
Food trucks and popular feel good tunes will be on at the Old Cheese Factory. Festival goers can throw down a picnic rug and taste test the cuisine on offer.
- The Old Cheese Factory, 34 Homestead Road, Berwick. Sunday 25 September and Sunday 23 October, 11am to 3pm. Cost: $2 per adult, $5 per family.
Participate with more than 100 others in a free five-kilometre timed event every Saturday morning. The event caters for serious runners and for those wanting a jog or even a walk.
- Saturdays at 8am at Berwick Springs. Visit the Berwick Springs Parkrun website for more information.
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Thirty years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, the galaxy faces a new threat from the evil Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and the First Order. When a defector named Finn crash-lands on a desert planet, he meets Rey (Daisy Ridley), a tough scavenger whose droid contains a top-secret map. Together, the young duo joins forces with Han Solo (Harrison Ford) to make sure the Resistance receives the intelligence concerning the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), the last of the Jedi Knights.
- Friday 23 September, 10am, Cardinia Cultural Centre. Tickets $4, movie popcorn drink combo $9.
Greater Dandenong Children’s Festival
This two-week Under the Sea themed celebration for the young and young at heart will run throughout the school holidays. There’ll be live performances, sea-themed workshops, shows at the Drum Theatre, daily movie screenings in Harmony Square and more.
- Until Sunday 2 October. Visit www.greaterdandenong.com/childrensfestival for a full events listing.
Festival of Lights
This event celebrates Chinese culture through 32 silk lanterns, some 20 metres wide and eight metres high. Windmills, dinosaurs, flowers, insects, animals and more will feature. There will also be roving performers and a dumpling bar.
- Greaves Reserve, Bennet Street, Dandenong. Until 9 October, 6pm to 10pm daily. Tickets are $12 for children, $18 concession, $20 for adults and $60 for a family of two adults and two children. Bookings are essential. Visit lightfestival.com.au.
Al-Emaan Group invites everyone to come and celebrate with the Muslim community Eid Al-Adha. There will be plenty of activities for children, Anasheed (religious songs) and performances, door prizes, Henna hand painting, cultural stalls and more. This event is supported by Doveton Community Learning Centre
- Sunday 25 September, 11am until 4pm, Doveton Neighbourhood Learning Centre, 34 Oak Avenue, Doveton.