By Cam Lucadou-Wells
A blaze at Samsung’s kiosk at Fountain Gate shopping centre on Monday was not what you might think.
Gags on social media came thick and fast about Samsung, which endured a nightmare 2016 with well-documented combusting products including washing machines and Galaxy Note 7.
However Hallam CFA’s senior station officer Steve Keating said the fault lay in the electrics within one of the kiosk cabinets, which had been issuing smoke.
Three fire brigades were called to the kiosk just before 6pm, isolated the area from a crowd of onlookers at a nearby cinema and brought the smoke under control within minutes.
“There was no further damage or need for evacuations,” Mr Keating said.
“There was a bit of an audience from the cinemas upstairs, but no-one was affected by smoke.”
Witness Ryan Peterson said he’d initially thought a phone may have caught fire inside the booth but on reflection, it was probably an electrical fault under the cabinet.
“I’m not entirely sure,” Mr Peterson said.
“The moment the cabinet had smoke coming out of it, security guards barricaded the area off.”