The City of Casey has developed a Smart Casey Launchpad program which focuses on bringing people together to enable innovation.
Now available for community consultation, the program will guide how the council harnesses data, technology and innovation to build a connected, sustainable, inclusive and innovative community.
In July, the community was invited to share ideas on how we can use technology and data in new and innovative ways to better meet the needs of our community now and in the future.
Throughout the consultation process the Launchpad evolved from a strategy to a program to allow for more flexibility in adjusting the program to meet changing trends and community needs as we continue to unlock and test new opportunities.
Drawing on community feedback which played a key role in shaping the program, global trends and local opportunities the Smart Casey Launchpad focuses on five key areas:
– Connecting communities: digital connectivity to increase digital inclusion, participation in council decision making and community building.
– Smart places and spaces: activating spaces with smart technology that promotes the benefits of technology and innovation in our local environment.
– Innovative and dynamic Casey: building local Smart City partnerships and opportunities so everyone can create a smart future. This includes connecting education partners with local businesses and community to build smart city opportunities to test and trial new technology that solve local challenges.
– Future sustainability: developing smart and sustainable infrastructure and activities to ensure we all tackle the climate crisis together.
– Smart Council: unlocking new value from our data and getting our workforce future ready.
As one of Victoria’s largest and fastest growing municipalities with rapid population growth and urbanisation, City of Casey Chair of Administrators Noelene Duff noted that innovation and collaboration are essential for Casey’s future planning and make up a key element of the Smart Casey Launchpad program.
“This year, more than ever, we have seen how technology and innovation can build resilient communities. To increase our community’s resilience, and support Casey’s present and future needs, we are committed to learning how technology, data and innovation – Smart City infrastructure, can unlock new opportunities and help us overcome persistent challenges,” explained Ms Duff.
“Whether it’s leveraging smart technology to manage utilities in households, transforming local businesses using data, or increasing digital literacy across the community, everybody in our community has a role to play and is invited to join our Smart City journey.”
Casey residents are invited to provide feedback on the Smart Casey Launchpad program via the Casey Conversations website before 23 November 2020.
The final Smart Casey Launchpad will be shared with the community in December and will be supported by Casey’s Smart City Action Plan, which will be released in January 2021.