BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Narre Warren man arrested in high-priority homicide case

Narre Warren man arrested in high-priority homicide case

A Narre Warren man has been arrested in Dandenong as part of an investigation into a 2023 fatal shooting of Mohammad Keshtiar in South Yarra.

Police say the 23-year-old was arrested this afternoon (4 April) with assistance from the Special Operations Group.

He is being interviewed by police.

Assistant Commissioner Martin O’Brien, heading Victoria Police’s Crime Command said the arrest was “incredibly significant” particularly due to Keshtiar’s links to organised crime.

“Most importantly, today’s arrest is about holding those involved in organised crime groups at all levels to account and ensuring that the harm they wreak on the community does not go unchecked in any way.

“This was an incident that involved a confronting level of public violence which could have easily impacted innocent members of the public.

“For that reason alone, this investigation has remained the highest priority for Victoria Police over the past 20 months.”

He said it had “never been any secret” that Keshtiar had significant connections to several organised crime groups. This added complexity to the investigation, he said.

Crime Command, particularly the Homicide Squad, and a range of specialist units had been involved in the investigation.

Shortly after 11.35pm on Friday 4 August 2023, Keshtiar and a male associate were walking along Almeida Crescent when an oncoming vehicle approached them and slowed down.

Several shots were fired, with Keshtiar struck several times.

His associate was not physically injured during the incident and managed to flee the scene to safety.

The car then stopped and a person from the vehicle fired several more shots at Keshtiar before it was driven from the area.

Several witnesses attempted to administer first aid before emergency services arrived and Keshtiar was conveyed to hospital where he later died.

In September 2024, police announced a $1 million reward for information in relation to the fatal shooting and that reward remains on offer. A stolen Prado 4WD found torched on Churchill Park Drive, Endeavour Hills was linked by police.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Any information Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or crimestoppersvic.com.au

Digital Editions


More News

  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months.…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 392859 Casey councillors have unanimously approved a controversial planning permit to turn the northern half of the Cranbourne Golf Course into almost 500 homes,…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…