BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Burglars hit during walk around the block

Burglars hit during walk around the block

By Rebecca Fraser
IN the time it took a Narre Warren man to walk his dog around the block last week his house was robbed.
Detective Senior Sergeant Ian Wilcox of Narre Warren CIU said the Darling Way resident returned from a 20-minute walk with his dog last Friday to discover his home had been targeted by burglars.
The front door had been jemmied and a DVD player and a computer system valued at $1100 were gone.
Det Sen Sgt Wilcox said the man had seen an early-model Falcon station wagon parked in a nearby driveway on returning home about 3pm. The station wagon quickly left the scene.
Police believe the thieves saw the man leaving the house with his dog and Sen Sgt Wilcox said this was another example of opportunism.
“We believe they were in the street and saw him leave and took a window of opportunity,” he said.
In a separate incident, a Berwick home was robbed in the space of 45 minutes last Friday after a flywire screen was cut and a window wound open.
Police said the break-in occurred between 7 and 7.45pm and a video game unit, cash and a camera valued at $2200 were taken from the Bemersyde Drive house.
Anyone with information should contact Detective Senior Constable Dean Hedge of Narre Warren CIU, phone 9705 3111 or Crime Stoppers, phone 1800 333 000.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…