BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Trapped by homelessness

Trapped by homelessness

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

A SINGLE mother of four who is living with her children at their grandparents’ three bedroom home has been waiting for a public housing property for more than 15 years.
According to a Department of Human Services (DHS) spokesperson, Sharon Erdeljan applied for public housing in 1998 and currently remains on the general public housing waitlist.
Ms Erdeljan, whose children attend school in Endeavour Hills, shares a bedroom with her two youngest children, Natasha, 9, and Milan, 6, at her mother’s house in Keysborough.
She said her two oldest children, Ben, 20, and Taleisha, 17, previously had to share the dining room as their bedroom before Ben recently moved out.
“It’s hard because the kids can’t have friends over, they’re always fighting,” Ms Erdeljan said.
“I haven’t got any friends or acquaintances that I see.
“It would be different if I had my own place because I could invite them over for coffee.
“I get so angry that I cry because it’s ridiculous, it just makes me so mad.”
The DHS spokesperson said Ms Erdeljan was approved for the general public housing waiting list in 1998 and approved for early housing – the priority waiting list – in 2006 but rejected the dwelling.
“In 2006 the tenant was offered a three-bedroom property but declined the property,” the spokesperson said.
“In accordance with department policy, she was then removed from the early housing list but remains on the general list.”
Applications for public housing are segmented into two categories – ‘early housing’ and ‘wait turn’.
Early housing caters for people who are homeless and receiving support, people with a disability who have significant support needs and people with special housing needs.
Wait turn is for all eligible people on low incomes.
Earlier this month the News reported that another single mother, Catherine from Endeavour Hills, claimed she had been told by an employee from the Dandenong public housing office not to bother applying for a dwelling because there was a 16-year-indefinite wait.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…