BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Space approved

Space approved

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

THE set-up of a Headspace facility at Fountain Gate Shopping Centre has been confirmed following concerns aired by federal Labor that the Narre Warren rollout may be in jeopardy.
Headspace confirmed on Wednesday that the facility will be set up in Narre Warren by South Eastern Melbourne Medicare Local (SEMML) under an interim agreement.
The confirmation comes after Holt MP Anthony Byrne raised doubts in June about the future of the facility following the release of the Federal Budget, which revealed the removal of Medicare Locals.
Funding to the South East Melbourne Medicare Local (SEMML), which was awarded the tender to run a Headspace office at the Fountain Gate shopping centre precinct in Narre Warren earlier this year, will cease on 30 June 2015 as the Federal Government moves to replace 61 Medicare Locals in the country with Primary Health Networks.
But Headspace CEO Chris Tanti confirmed the Narre Warren Headspace project would go ahead.
“To ensure the next round of Headspace centres are established within the original timeframes, Medicare Locals selected to operate new centres have been invited to lead the establishment under an interim agreement,” he said.
“The running of the Headspace centre in Narre Warren will be reviewed as we get closer to the transition from Medicare Locals to Primary Health Networks.
“We will work with the federalMinister for Health to determine the best way forward to ensure the sustainability and success of the centre.
“Our main priority is to provide the full range of Headspace services to young people and families in this community.”
Mr Byrne welcomed the Headspace confirmation.
“I’m pleased that young people in the area now have certainty about the establishment of a Headspace at Fountain Gate,” he said.
“This is a service that the young people in our area deserve, want and need as soon as possible.
“I congratulate the young people from around the country that came together to lobby the Federal Government to continue to provide the Headspace services and I thank the Health Minister for listening to their concerns.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • What’s on

    What’s on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 157047 Patsy & Dave Trailblazing country music from Melbourne duo Patsy Toop and David Baird, support act Little Miss Country. Presented by Berwick and…

  • Powers, premiers and poles

    Powers, premiers and poles

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530014 BLAIR: Gday boys, we are back for another week of Let’s Talk Sport and we have plenty happening, so let’s get into it.…

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…