BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Selfies in their sights

Selfies in their sights

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

POLICE are still searching for eight guns which were alleged stolen from a Berwick house last month.
It is believed a burglar broke into the garage of the Brent Close home overnight on Friday 21 November.
They originally removed 10 guns from a large safe, before taking a smaller safe containing another firearm.
But the smaller safe, along with two firearms, was recovered nearby, while eight guns remain missing.
Police have provided a photo of the missing guns.
Investigators are keen to hear from anyone who may have seen any suspicious activity in the area at the time of the burglary, or who may have any knowledge of the whereabouts of the firearms.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or log into www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.
The theft comes as police have warned firearm owners this week to avoid publicising their ownership, after a spate of social media activity involving firearm ‘selfies’.
Senior Sergeant Andrew Armstrong said people were recklessly advertising their firearm ownership without considering the consequences.
“This behaviour is concerning. Some criminals trawl social media networks looking for easy targets and items of interest – including ammunition and other weaponry,” Sen Sgt Armstrong from Victoria Police Licensing and Regulation Division said.
“It’s easy enough to gather personal information through public profiles or unsecure accounts.
“Licence holders need to be responsible.
“Any public display of firearm ownership including stickers on vehicles or house windows can encourage unwanted attention from thieves.”
Sen Sgt Armstrong said police will continue to conduct impromptu inspections over the coming months.
“Some licence holders are becoming too complacent,” he said.
“With the responsibility of owning a firearm comes the responsibility of storing one.
“If your firearms can be easily accessed you need to improve your security.”
The Firearms Act 1996 states that devices used to store these items must be constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable and secured with a sturdy lock.
Sen Sgt Armstrong said recent targeted operations had led to fines being issued, licences cancelled and weapons seized. For more information about the safe storage of firearms, visit www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…