BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Soft on terror: MP

Soft on terror: MP

By KATHRYN BERMINGHAM

LA TROBE MP Jason Wood has hit out at the seat’s Labor candidate for taking a “soft” stance on terror after Mr Wood’s anti-terrorism plan was criticised as being “irresponsible.”
Last month Mr Wood told Parliament his plan to launch MYHACK, a program designed to deter young people from turning to violent extremism.
In an interview with the Pakenham-Berwick Gazette, Labor’s Simon Curtis said members of parliament needed to be careful not to become involved in a “scaremonger.”
Mr Wood said that Curtis’ comments were an attempt to create political and community friction.
“For the Labor candidate to accuse me of scaremongering when we’ve had multiple local examples of the risk we face already, I wonder what it would take for him to take the threat of radicalization seriously?
“Being weak on terrorism achieves absolutely nothing, so does he propose to do nothing and just hope for the best?
“Seeing this reaction from the Labor candidate, I have no choice but to assume he would not support proposed changes to citizenship or other counter terrorism measures.”
He also criticized Curtis’ view that the government should be focusing on more prevalent issues such as family violence.
“Domestic violence is something far more prevalent in our community than terrorism. We need to see a better response by government on this.”
Mr Wood said drawing parallels between the two issues was “politically irresponsible.”
“I take the matter of family violence incredibly seriously, and I do not choose to politicise it like others,” Mr Wood said.

Digital Editions


  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia.…

More News

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…

  • Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

    Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 182116 Ex two-time Casey Mayor and VFL footballer Geoff Ablett has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND), prompting his family to launch a…

  • New threatened species facility opens at Moonlit Sanctuary

    New threatened species facility opens at Moonlit Sanctuary

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531518 Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park in Pearcedale officially unveiled its new purpose-built Aquatic Fauna Conservation Facility on Tuesday 10 February. Featuring precise environmental…