BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Windfall for Windermere

Windfall for Windermere

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

WINDERMERE in Narre Warren will be one of the facilities in family services to benefit from $3.5 million in State Government funding confirmed last week.
The money was allocated over two years in last month’s budget, with $1 million set to be distributed before 30 June.
The funding will be allocated according to need, with agencies in areas with the greatest demand set to receive the most money. The six areas identified as having the greatest need are Southern Melbourne, Bayside Peninsula, North East Melbourne, Western Melbourne, Inner Gippsland and Hume Moreland.
Narre Warren North MP Luke Donnellan visited Windermere last Friday to speak to staff about the additional funding.
“Counselling services are essential to overcome both the immediate and long-term effects of family violence on women and children,” he said.
“It’s important that people affected by family violence can access high-quality and timely supports, no matter where they live.”
The new funding forms part of an $81.3 million package outlined in the State Budget to boost family violence services and support victims.
Meanwhile, Narre Warren South MP Judith Graley, along with Family Violence Minister Fiona Richardson, will this Friday officially launch the ‘Say No to Family Violence’ at Kambrya College in Berwick, in an effort to raise awareness on the issue at local schools.
“Our campaign is only a first step, but it is a step that we need to take, a step that I hope will ensure a greater awareness and understanding of the devastating impact family violence has on our community,” Ms Graley said.
“I am so very pleased that the minister will be joining with us to launch the campaign, and I have no doubt that our community will stand together proudly on this very important issue.”
Ms Graley said students taking part in the campaign would be made better aware of the family violence scourge in Casey and would assist in preparing a banner to spread this knowledge.
“For too long, countless women and children have been forced to live in fear, subjected to horrors that no one should ever have to experience,” Ms Graley said.
“It is time that we, as a community, stand together and give these victims a voice, give them not only the help they need but also the hope that it will never happen again.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…