BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Breaking ranks

Breaking ranks

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

CASEY Council has refused to endorse – or give reasons why it doesn’t support – a multi-council campaign for more federal funding to support 800 asylum seekers living in its community.
Twenty councils, led by neighbouring Greater Dandenong, have endorsed a joint statement calling for more funding for aid, statistics, social inclusion, services’ co-ordination, housing and education for asylum seekers.
According to a statement from Greater Dandenong council, the provision of asylum seeker services is increasingly falling on councils and community groups.
There is a “genuine risk” that asylum seeker programs will fail to meet the needs – if demand for resources continues to grow, the statement said.
Casey community strengthening manager Janette Green said the council had discussed the joint statement and would not join the campaign.
It instead “resolved to take action” and wrote in January to the Immigration and Border Protection Minister Peter Dutton and his department secretary for more support for asylum seekers living in Casey.
“Council will continue to advocate for more effective resources and co-ordination at the Federal, State and local government levels to support asylum seekers.”
A council spokesman said he couldn’t elaborate on why the council decided not to join the other councils’ campaign because the discussion was held in a closed meeting.
Casey deputy mayor Louise Berkelmans told a council Refugee Week forum last Wednesday that asylum seekers and refugees had complex settlement needs.
She said the week’s ’With courage let us all combine’ theme was a “call for unity and positive action” to make a more welcoming and inclusive community.
“There are still many opportunities to work together and do better.”
The joint statement’s spearhead Greater Dandenong councillor Roz Blades said she didn’t know why Casey had opted out.
“Unless they think they’re doing all right on their own… I really can’t say anything to that.”
She vowed to “stay with it” after presenting the joint statement to federal MP and social services assistant minister Mitch Fifield this month.
Cr Blades said her hope was that extra funding would be provided in next year’s Federal Budget.
“I’m reasonably confident because I’m really good at nagging.”
Greater Dandenong sought to present and discuss the statement with Immigration Minister Peter Dutton in Canberra last week but was unable to get an appointment.
The statement was also presented to Isaacs MP and opposition attorney-general Mark Dreyfus who will raise the matter in Parliament on 22 June.
Senator Fifield said he advised the council that the government provided funding for a range of support services for migrants and refugees living in the community.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months.…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 392859 Casey councillors have unanimously approved a controversial planning permit to turn the northern half of the Cranbourne Golf Course into almost 500 homes,…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…