BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Court hears scissors head stab claims

Court hears scissors head stab claims

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

A NARRE Warren North man has been accused of stabbing his partner with scissors several times as she tried to leave him during a five-day ordeal in late July.
At one stage, the victim was dragged along the ground in Hallam Hotel car park when the man grabbed her by her top as he drove off in his car, Dandenong Magistrates’ Court was told on Monday 14 September.
At a sentence indication hearing, police prosecutor Senior Constable Tanique McFarlane told of the victim being stabbed as she tried to escape from his car when it stopped at traffic lights.
The man allegedly stabbed her with scissors to the leg, arm and hand then punched her in the eye.
On another escape attempt, she was allegedly chased, pulled to the ground and dragged to the car.
Another time, she was stabbed with scissors behind her ear, causing substantial bleeding, Sen Const McFarlane told the court.
The victim managed to flag down police on 27 July when he stopped at Hungry Jacks at Hallam-Belgrave Road.
She ran to police after tricking the man to allow her out of the car for a toilet break.
Sen Const McFarlane told the court that the victim refused to sign a complaint warrant, instead requesting psychiatric help for her boyfriend.
The victim had said the man had stopped his medication.
The next day, police arrested the man driving in Seaford where he gave a false name and exhibited “anti-social and antagonistic” behaviour, the court was told.
Cannabis and ice were found in deal bags in his car, Sen Const McFarlane said.
The man was charged with unlawful assault, assault with weapons and intentionally causing injury.
He was also facing earlier vehicle theft, trafficking and other drug charges including being found with 186 grams of cannabis.
Defence lawyer Chris Edwards said his client pleaded guilty to most charges but contested the “factual matrix” of some of the violence offences.
A psychiatric nurse told the court the man had been treated while remanded at Melbourne Assessment Prison for the past two months.
She said a community treatment order assessment was prepared if the man was to be released that day.
Magistrate Pauline Spencer said the man was likely to receive a jail term; its length depending on the outcome of a full Forensicare psychiatric report.
The case was adjourned for mention on 23 September.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months.…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 392859 Casey councillors have unanimously approved a controversial planning permit to turn the northern half of the Cranbourne Golf Course into almost 500 homes,…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…