BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Apex teen bailed to avoid other jailed members

Apex teen bailed to avoid other jailed members

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

AN ALLEGED Apex Gang member has been granted bail partly to keep him away from ringleaders who had recently been remanded in juvenile detention.
At a children’s court hearing on 7 December, the teenage boy faced burglary charges but complained of being forcibly arrested at school over the alleged January break-in and of being doused with capsicum spray.
He was allegedly found in possession of cannabis during his arrest.
The applicant said he had been “keeping out of trouble” in recent times to be a good role-model for younger siblings.
“If he is in the Apex group, all the leaders are in custody so that might not be a good place for him to be,” the magistrate said.
“Their behaviour has been so high-end in the past two-to-three months.”
The street gang’s members had been allegedly involved in armed robberies, car jackings and speeding in stolen cars in recent months.
The judge granted bail due to the applicant’s age, engagement with Youth Justice services and to prevent him being in contact with the street gang’s leaders.
“Those offenders are on a different radar than you at the moment,” the judge said.
“You know the boys I’m talking about and you know the trouble they’re in.
“They’re putting members of the community at risk, they’re not being committed to their family and have absolutely zero future.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…