BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Saving Brisbane St

Saving Brisbane St

By Helena Adeloju

A six-unit development at 38-40 Brisbane Street is Berwick’s very own building nightmare.
Brisbane St resident Margaret Edwards wrote to Casey Council recently on behalf of 14 other residents who support her Save Brisbane St campaign.
In the letter, Ms Edwards described herself and other residents as “dismayed” by the condition the site has been in and the “ugly very poorly built units.”
City of Casey manager Statutory Planning and Building Services Duncan Turner confirmed that the development has been the subject of investigation by council.
“There remain a number of outstanding and non-compliant issues with the development that require the owners and developers attention,” he said.
“Council is working with the developer to have the development completed satisfactorily, and will continue to pursue the matter to ensure the owner and developer meet their obligations.”
In her letter, Ms Edwards claims that over the course of the build, work vehicles at the site have caused “dangerous traffic hazards,” tree protection zone requirements have been “abused,” bobcat machinery has been operated out of permitted work hours, neighbouring property has been damaged and “a stand of Tuscan Pines” were removed from the property without permission.
Residents who spoke to the Gazette on Monday 3 March said the site was cleared and landscaped on Sunday 2 March, but there had been builders’ rubble, chairs, plastic bins, bottles and tools littering the site previously.
Ms Edwards said residents were aware that the council had served notices on the builder but the warnings appeared to have been ignored.
“I’m really sad about what has happened at 38-40 Brisbane St,” she said. “I’m hellbent on stopping it from happening anymore.”
Ms Edwards said Brisbane St residents would continue to battle similar development proposals that they didn’t believe reflected “the unique neighbourhood character of this part of Berwick.”
“The major concerns are overdevelopment, loss of privacy, loss of vegetation, increased traffic, increased street parking and loss of value to homes,” she said.
Ms Edwards maintains that she is not opposed to development, but said she cares deeply about how it is carried out.
“My concern is that the council is not encouraging a diversity of dwelling type,” she said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Berwick Jewellers on High street were the latest victim of a violent daylight burglary, after a score of masked men stormed the business. Officers responded to reports of three masked…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533970 Casey South Melbourne (5/217) punched its ticket to the Victorian Premier Cricket (VPC) finals by knocking off Ringwood (199) in round 16 and…

  • Bakers sit in the box seat

    Bakers sit in the box seat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533005 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Bloods’ depth does damage

    Bloods’ depth does damage

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13…