BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Early birds can train for free

Early birds can train for free

EARLY morning commuters on the Pakenham line will be rewarded with free one-way travel from 31 March.
Premier John Brumby announced the expansion of the Early Bird ticket offer last week after successful trials were held on the Sydenham and Frankston lines last year.
Train users scheduled to arrive at their destination by 7am will be able to take advantage of the free travel.
Passengers can save about $1200 a year by using the Early Bird offer.
“Passengers on the Sydenham and Frankston lines have responded to the trial since it began in October last year and I’m confident that we will see a positive trend across all metropolitan train lines,” Mr Brumby said.
Government officials hope the increase in early morning travellers will take a load off the peak services in the morning.
The News reported last week that train cancellations on the Pakenham line had increased 46.5 per cent from 2006 to 2007.
“Surveys during the trial on the Sydenham and Frankston lines showed that more than a quarter of travellers using the Early Bird tickets had changed the time of their travel to take advantage of the free travel.”
Commuters will be issued with one ticket that is valid for 10 free trips before 7am.
Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky said having the Early Bird Metcard in place across the network would boost passenger uptake.
“I am delighted that all metropolitan train users can now take advantage of Early Bird and enjoy the greater flexibility – and free travel benefits – of early morning commuting,” she said.
“Early morning travel isn’t for everybody. However, some people may find it gives them greater flexibility in starting work earlier and finishing earlier, which can have great lifestyle benefits – and of course, free travel is a great incentive in itself.”
For further information about free early morning train travel visit the www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au website.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…