BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Heat is on hospital cladding

Heat is on hospital cladding

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

Monash Health is set to remove flammable cladding from Casey Hospital but states the hospital is “safe to occupy”.
The cladding will be replaced from the main building facade, the sub-acute ward built in 2014 and an extension to the main building built in 2010.
According to the State Government, Casey and seven other hospitals with flammable cladding will be “brought into compliance” within 36 months.
Monash Health became aware of the issue at Casey Hospital in August after a review by an independent building surveyor, its spokesman said.
“An independent building surveyor and fire engineers have assessed the buildings and certified that they are safe to occupy.
“Works were immediately undertaken to reduce risk, including additional sprinkler installation.”
The hospital had already been protected by mandatory fire-safety features such as sprinklers and a fire alarm system.
“We will work with the Victorian Cladding Taskforce with any further audit process and implement any recommendations identified to ensure compliance is achieved,” the spokesman said.
There have also been 1400 buildings identified as “likely” to have the cladding by a Victorian Cladding Taskforce.
The cladding, described as aluminium composite panels with a polyethylene core or expanded polystyrene, came under the spotlight after a fire rapidly tore up the Lacrosse apartment building in Docklands in 2014.
Cladding was also blamed for the horrific Grenfell Tower fire in London in June, in which 79 people were killed.
Casey Council is set to audit six of its buildings for combustible cladding.
Casey’s city presentation manager David Richardson said the council was not aware of any of its facilities being fitted with non-compliant cladding.
The materials used at the recently opened Bunjil Place complied with Australian standards and Building Code of Australia requirements, Mr Richardson said.
“Council will audit our six public buildings that are two storeys and above for the non-compliant cladding in accordance with the Victorian Building Authority Requirements.
“The majority of council’s 360 buildings are single-storey and not impacted by the proposed audit.”
The State Government has directed the Victorian Building Authority to expand its inspections from government buildings to residential dwellings.
“We’re taking action to overhaul the building industry and prevent the use of combustible cladding,” Planning Minister Richard Wynne said.
“We’re giving the VBA the tools it needs to complete an unprecedented audit and we’ll crack down on those who flout the rules.”
Opposition health spokeswoman Mary Wooldridge said Premier Daniel Andrews had been “dragging his feet” on the issue, having known the Royal Women’s Hospital had flammable cladding for more than two years.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…