BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Comets score a goal

Comets score a goal

Jump for joy! Joseph Branca, Casey councillor Kevin Bradford, Nicholas Buswell, Casey Comets Soccer Club president Charlie Branca and Alfie Burvill are thrilled that a much-needed pavilion extension has been given the green light. Jump for joy! Joseph Branca, Casey councillor Kevin Bradford, Nicholas Buswell, Casey Comets Soccer Club president Charlie Branca and Alfie Burvill are thrilled that a much-needed pavilion extension has been given the green light.

By Glen Atwell
“THIRD world” facilities at the Casey Comets Soccer Club will be improved after Casey Council committed an additional $150,000 funding to extend the run-down pavilion.
More than $500,000 will be spent upgrading dilapidated facilities at the O’Tooles Road soccer centre to ensure the club’s Women’s Premier League side meets minimum standards set by the Football Federation Victoria (FFV).
Casey Comets women’s coach and club doyen Deborah Nichols said the conditions of the showers and change rooms were “third world”.
“The showers are disgusting and it’s embarrassing as a Women’s Premier League club to have an old, broken down portable for change rooms. It’s been like that for five years,” she said.
The plight of the Comets was first raised in council’s 2004/05 budget.
Council allocated $250,000 for pavilion works, but the money was spent on planning delays and increases in construction costs.
Further funding in 2005/06 was spent on upgrading the coaches box and spectator fencing to meet FFV premier league requirements.
The $150,000 committed at last week’s Casey Council meeting will ensure the pavilion will soon be built.
Ms Nichols said it was pleasing to have the support of council.
“City of Casey has sponsored us for the last two seasons, so they were obviously keen to show they were doing something,” Ms Nichols said.
“The car park is being sealed, so that will be a positive, and once we get those artificial pitches and the main pitch re-done properly, we will start to have a facility that clubs actually want to come to.”
The top women’s team is in a rebuilding phase after being one of the premier league’s top sides since its inception 14 years ago.
Cr Kevin Bradford said it was an embarrassment that a local club with 300 junior players and more than 700 paid-up members had no door on its toilet.
“How can Casey Council neglect a club as strong as the Casey Comets?” he said.
“Yet the council has spent more than $500,000 on luring Melbourne Football Club to Casey Fields. It’s absurd.”
Comets President Charlie Branca said after 30 years the club still did not have a disabled toilet.
“It’s disappointing that things have gotten as bad as they are, but I’m thankful that Cr Bradford has assured our future by helping to secure this funding,” he said.
The Comets completed their Women’s Premier League campaign with a 2-1 win over Sandringham on Sunday to finish the season in seventh spot.

Digital Editions


  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde…

More News

  • Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534765 A proposed upgrade of the Pearcedale Village Shopping Centre has sparked strong local opposition, with residents raising concerns over the introduction of 90-degree…

  • ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    A Cranbourne family who just moved into the area says they feel unsafe returning home after a burglary suspect was granted bail within a day, with police refusing to provide…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • What’s on

    What’s on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 157047 Patsy & Dave Trailblazing country music from Melbourne duo Patsy Toop and David Baird, support act Little Miss Country. Presented by Berwick and…