BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » More pain on long waiting lists

More pain on long waiting lists

AN OPPOSITION MP has hit out over the waiting times elective surgery patients are being forced to endure at Casey Hospital.
South Eastern Metropolitan MLC Gordon Rich-Phillips has outlined his concern over the latest Your Hospitals report released last week.
Mr Rich-Phillips said more than 550 people were on the elective surgery waiting list at Casey Hospital.
“It is not good enough that only four out of every 10 Casey residents on the Category 2 waiting list will be treated within the government’s own required time frame,” he said.
“When you consider that a Category 1 patient is someone requiring surgery for a life threatening condition, I think it is fair to assume that most of the residents on the Category 2 waiting list are in a great deal of pain and discomfort.”
Health Minister Daniel Andrews said Casey Hospital had achieved many of its targets.
“At a time when hospitals are treating more patients than ever before, they are also treating more of them within the benchmark times,” Mr Andrews said.
He said a $60 million funding boost earlier this year was starting to have an impact on elective surgery waiting lists.
“There were almost 2000 fewer patients waiting for surgery at the end of June 2008 than there were at the end of December 2007 – a five per cent reduction in just six months,” Mr Andrews said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…