BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Walkway churned up

Walkway churned up

A former Casey deputy mayor says those responsible for churning up a Narre Warren walkway with deep tyre marks need to be held accountable.

Rex Flannery said he had been walking his dog along the 1.5 kilometre trail when he came across the damage at the corner of Parkhill Drive and Princes Highway on Tuesday 30 June.

“People have just got no respect, it’s irresponsible,” he said.

Mr Flannery suspected those in the wrong were contractors as they would have had access to a key to unlock and remove the single bollard from the middle of the path to carry out works.

“The only people who can do that are either council or contractors.”

Casey Council manager of city presentation David Richardson said council had determined that the damage to the nature strip was not caused by council works.

“Other agencies may have accessed the area to undertake work on their assets, but the cause is still under investigation. Council officers are following up and remedial works will be undertaken,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mr Flannery said it was disappointing that people feel they “can do whatever they like” and “drive away because there’s no consequences for their action”.

He said he saw workers cutting trees along the track not long ago but made no suggestion they had caused the damage.

He said when councillors were installed they could visit the scene of issues raised by members of the public and get it resolved straight away.

“I would be making them go back and fixing it up,” he said.

“Contractors get in there and they take the yellow post out and they drive into the walkway to cut trees or whatever they do and they just dig it up all up and they don’t care about the consequences.

“Since councillors haven’t been in place, people are just doing what they want to do now.

“The only people who care are the people that report it,” he said. 

Digital Editions


More News

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • What’s on

    What’s on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 157047 Patsy & Dave Trailblazing country music from Melbourne duo Patsy Toop and David Baird, support act Little Miss Country. Presented by Berwick and…

  • Powers, premiers and poles

    Powers, premiers and poles

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530014 BLAIR: Gday boys, we are back for another week of Let’s Talk Sport and we have plenty happening, so let’s get into it.…

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…