BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Vanessa Amorosi denies house pact with mum

Vanessa Amorosi denies house pact with mum

Singer-songwriter Vanessa Amorosi has emphatically denied she ever agreed to hand over full ownership of a Narre Warren home to her mother.

The property is central to the 42-year-old’s legal case against her mother Joyleen Robinson, which has gone to trial in the Victorian Supreme Court.

Amorosi claims the $650,000 used to purchase the home in 2001 came from a trust account set up to receive all of her earnings as a singer-songwriter.

She is seeking full ownership of the property, which currently has her and her mother listed as joint-owners.

But Mrs Robinson claims Amorosi agreed to hand over full ownership of the Narre Warren home if her mother paid her $650,000 when she asked.

During her evidence, Mrs Robinson could not remember the date the agreement was made although her lawyer previously stated it was in February 2001.

“I’m not good with dates,” she told the court.

She maintained the agreement was made during a conversation in the kitchen of their former family home.

“She paid for the whole amount of the property and when she needed money, I would sell my McKenzie Lane property and give the money to her,” Mrs Robinson said.

She told the court she handed over $710,000 to Amorosi in 2014 for the loan she took out on her American home.

Mrs Robinson maintained she fulfilled her end of the agreement so the Narre Warren property should be in her name alone.

During cross-examination, Amorosi repeatedly denied any agreement was made.

Earlier on Friday, Mrs Robinson’s barrister Daniel Harrison suggested to Amorosi she did not have a good memory and the agreement did take place.

He also put to her that she bought the Narre Warren home for her mother and she never considered it her own property.

Amorosi denied that assertion, saying it was the first home she bought for herself and she always thought of it as hers.

“My mum wanted that property from day one, no matter what,” Amorosi told the court.

“She made it very clear it was her dream property.”

Mr Harrison also suggested Amorosi had launched the legal proceedings because she was in a difficult financial situation, which Amorosi denied.

The barrister told Justice Steven Moore that Amorosi’s recollections were unreliable, not from malice but simply because she had a poor memory.

Mr Harrison said it ultimately came down to two people with very different accounts of what did or didn’t happen.

Justice Moore should see that Mrs Robinson’s recollection was the only sensible one, Mr Harrison said.

Amorosi’s former manager Mark Holden was among the people in court supporting the 42-year-old on Friday, while her siblings and step-father were there for Mrs Robinson

Mrs Robinson’s evidence is set to continue, with Amorosi’s barrister Philip Solomon to cross-examine her.

Digital Editions


  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde…

More News

  • Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534765 A proposed upgrade of the Pearcedale Village Shopping Centre has sparked strong local opposition, with residents raising concerns over the introduction of 90-degree…

  • ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    A Cranbourne family who just moved into the area says they feel unsafe returning home after a burglary suspect was granted bail within a day, with police refusing to provide…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • What’s on

    What’s on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 157047 Patsy & Dave Trailblazing country music from Melbourne duo Patsy Toop and David Baird, support act Little Miss Country. Presented by Berwick and…