BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Outer East welcomes junior netball clubs

Outer East welcomes junior netball clubs

Netball clubs in the South East will have the opportunity to field junior teams in the Outer East Football Netball’s (OEFN) junior netball competition in 2024.

It comes after a breakdown last week between OEFN and the new South East Premier Netball League (SEPNL) competition, where a proposed junior competition that combined the two organisations was abandoned for 2024, after OEFN sighted issues with SEPNL’s governance structure and a lack of affiliation from Netball Victoria.

On Monday 12 February, SEPNL announced that Netball Victoria will manage their competition, and that their proposed junior competition will run “under the guidance” of OEFN.

“For us, it was paramount that the junior clubs in the area had access to the most vibrant and competitive league to showcase their skills,” the SEPNL statement said.

“In order for this to happen in 2024 we had to play in an existing competition to ensure no clubs missed the opportunity for their Junior clubs to play.

“We agreed there was no one benefiting if we divided our juniors between two competitions as there were three strong clubs playing in the Outer East competition that could have been sitting the season out if we did so.

“We appreciate the patience we have received from all clubs that have expressed interest in the new concept for both seniors and juniors and we look forward to seeing you all out on the court in the coming weeks.”

OEFN Chief Executive Brett Connell said this is an “outstanding result” for the region’s junior netballers.

“We’ll be administering a competition for the juniors in the South East and those clubs that wish to put them in… they’ll have a junior home with us,” Connell said.

“We’ll run our junior competition and they’ll become participants in that.

“We said back in August when we said Berwick and Beaconsfield can’t be part of the competition at senior level, we always said we’d accommodate anyone in juniors, because we’re not about trying to kill junior sport.”

Netball Victoria confirmed they will manage the SEPNL home and away competition to meet participation demand in South East Melbourne.

“The South East is one of Victoria’s fastest growing areas, and Netball Victoria is committed to providing opportunities for people to play netball across the state,” Netball Victoria said.

“Our focus in 2024 will be working together with all relevant stakeholders to create and deliver a model that will maximise the growth of our game in the South East corridor.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…