Firefighters celebrate their good save from the rooftop

FIREFIGHTERS from Hallam, Narre Warren North and Dandenong joined forces recently to save an Endeavour Hills house.
The fire at a single-storey rental property in Terara Court broke out shortly after noon on Friday, 18 August. The occupants of the house managed to escape unharmed before fire crews arrived on the scene.
Incident controller Shaun McRoberts of Hallam Fire Brigade said the fire was caused by a teenager cooking fish on a stove.
Two tankers from Narre Warren North joined a pumper each from Hallam and Dandenong as about 15 CFA staff and volunteers battled the blaze.
Mr McRoberts said the fire began in the range hood and slowly extended into the roof.
He said the roof was destroyed, with sections above the kitchen completely burned out.
Salvage equipment from the Hallam Fire Brigade was used to protect furniture and personal possessions.
Mr McRoberts said the fire was not difficult to control, although it was necessary to act slowly and with care.
“All crews got there and worked together well to overcome the fire. It was a good save,” he said.
“It was just, basically, a question of manpower and having to get members on the roof to attack the fire from below and on top.”