BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Funding for run-down pavilion

Funding for run-down pavilion

By Rebecca Fraser
A ‘TIRED’ Narre Warren North sports pavilion is finally getting some much-needed attention.
Casey deputy mayor Rob Wilson visited Kalora Park Reserve on Tuesday to present the sports clubs who call the ground home with a cheque for $5000.
The funds, from the council’s mid-year budget allocation of $20,000, will help fund some long-awaited renovation works at the dilapidated facility.
In February, the presidents of the Narre Warren Football Club and Narre North Foxes Junior Football Club called on council to repair the well-worn facility and Cr Wilson has also been vocal about the need to repair and update the facility.
Cr Wilson said the money would help tidy up facilities in the sports facility and he was hopeful that more funds from council’s maintenance budget would soon be spent on upgrading the Fox Road clubrooms.
The funding will help pay for the men’s toilets to be updated so senior players no longer have to use toilets designed for children and the women’s toilets will also be refurbished.
In February, Narre Warren Football Club president Kim McGill said he had been involved in the club since ‘day dot’ and had not seen any major improvements to the social or clubrooms for the past 20 or 25 years.
He said the clubrooms were really unworkable and the club has obviously outgrown the facilities.
Mr McGill labelled the canteen a ‘health hazard’.
This week he said he was pleased to see the reserve receiving some attention and he hoped council would allocate more funds in their May budget allocations to expand and improve the club’s netball facilities.
Mr McGill said the canteen would also soon be upgraded and he was hopeful that more funding would become available to pay for new lights on the pavilion side of the ground and a new line-marking machine could be purchased.
Cr Wilson said the reserve’s canteen also required urgent expansion to cater for the hoards of spectators the club attracted to each home game.
“Narre Warren seems to be the busiest of any football ground in the area and seems to have big followings at both home and away games,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Berwick Jewellers on High street were the latest victim of a violent daylight burglary, after a score of masked men stormed the business. Officers responded to reports of three masked…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533970 Casey South Melbourne (5/217) punched its ticket to the Victorian Premier Cricket (VPC) finals by knocking off Ringwood (199) in round 16 and…

  • Bakers sit in the box seat

    Bakers sit in the box seat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533005 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Bloods’ depth does damage

    Bloods’ depth does damage

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13…