BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » On the map, at last

On the map, at last

By Casey Neill
NARRE Warren South P-12 College was officially opened last week – five-and-a-half years after welcoming its first students.
Education Minister John Lenders officially opened the school in front of students, staff, parents and guests last Friday.
Sonja Kendall, assistant to the principal, said the day went well.
“We had a lot of positive feedback from the community, parents, staff and students,” she said.
Ms Kendall said the day was also a celebration of the first year of having students from all levels, Prep to Year 12.
The school opened with 816 Prep to Year 7 students on the first day of the 2002 school year. By the end of 2002, 956 students were enrolled, a number that now has grown to almost 1900.
The final construction work, the Science and Technology Centre, was completed in 2004.
Ms Kendall said the delay in holding the official opening was simply a matter of co-ordinating all those involved.
In his speech, Principal Ross Miller said he was honoured to be the school’s foundation principal.
“This is a proud day in the history of the college that is being shared by us all who live and work in this dynamic and unique learning community,” he said.
School captains Lisa Marshall and Correy Roos acted as M Cs of a program that featured a multi-media presentation by VCE media students, A Visual History And Future of Narre Warren South P-12 College.
Narre Warren South state MP Judith Graley also announced the establishment of the Denese Bartlett Memorial Scholarship.
Ms Bartlett was a parent who, along with current school council president Dianne Davies, successfully lobbied for the school to be built. Ms Bartlett died 2005 after a battle with cancer.
The scholarship will be awarded annually to one female Year 11 student displaying qualities of community leadership and endeavour.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • What’s on

    What’s on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 157047 Patsy & Dave Trailblazing country music from Melbourne duo Patsy Toop and David Baird, support act Little Miss Country. Presented by Berwick and…