BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Out for a year

Out for a year

By Callan Date
A NETBALL player received a 52-week suspension after a match turned ugly at the Endeavour Hills Leisure Centre last week.
Placid passes were replaced with kicks and punches as the mixed netball game descended into chaos during the third quarter on Monday 11 February.
Police are investigating the brawl, which left a 22-year-old Vermont South man in hospital with a large cut to his nose.
YMCA centre manager Simon Beqir described the fight as “certainly the worst that had ever been witnessed at the centre.”
Tensions first flared when a player pushed the ball into the face of an opposing player, police said.
Casey Criminal Investigation Unit Detective Sergeant Larry Grimshaw said the player then kicked his opponent in the leg, causing the victim to fall to the ground.
Umpires stopped the game but the man continued with his violence.
“The offender has then removed his bib and punched the victim in the face. This has knocked him to the ground,” Det Sgt Grimshaw said.
The injured player received medical treatment at Knox Private Hospital. Police said he may need plastic surgery to fix his cut nose.
Mr Beqir said stadium officials reacted quickly with the tribunal hearing taking place on Monday.
“It is expected that the swift and decisive suspension will send a clear message to all that this kind of behaviour would not be tolerated by the YMCA,” he said.
“(This was) the first suspension at the centre and was a shock to players and officials who had never witnessed this before.”
Mr Beqir said the incident was a one-off.
“The player in question was registered with the centre as a regular player and had not been identified in the past as being violent.”
“We’re looking forward to the continued good behaviour from the rest of our players and certainly don’t expect any further issues.”
Police are continuing with their investigation and would like to speak to anyone who may have seen the fight.
Det Sgt Grimshaw said they were especially interested in speaking with any witnesses who were not involved in the match.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Narre Warren Police on 9705 3114.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months.…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 392859 Casey councillors have unanimously approved a controversial planning permit to turn the northern half of the Cranbourne Golf Course into almost 500 homes,…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…