BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Violence brings new rules

Violence brings new rules

LOCAL nightspots can now be shut down for 24 hours if trouble flares.
The legislative changes were made last week following the announcement that assault-related incidents were up by more than 5 per cent in the past 12 months.
Narre Warren North MP Luke Donnellan said the new laws were brought about to combat violence in and around licensed venues.
“It is a concern that we are seeing a rise in assaults, especially in and around entertainment precincts,” Mr Donnellan said. “While the vast majority of people enjoy visiting entertainment areas and enjoy a drink in a responsible way, there is unfortunately a link between excessive alcohol consumption and violence.”
The announcement comes only weeks after an ugly brawl outside the Prince Mark Hotel in Doveton. In that incident a man had his leg broken and was bitten on the arm during a vicious fight involving up to 13 people.
The new legislation will allow the banning of troublemakers from entertainment precincts and strengthens liquor licensing enforcement powers. Mr Donnellan said the increased powers reflected the serious harm that could be caused to community safety as a result of inappropriate serving of alcohol.
“We want to strike the right balance between maintaining Victoria’s vibrant nightlife while keeping our streets safe,” he said. “Our cafe and bar scene is something Victorians are proud of and other states envy. We want Victoria’s nightlife to remain the best in Australia.
“It is unacceptable that some people behave in a violent manner and threaten others.
“These new measures are not aimed at the majority of licensees who run their venues in a responsible manner but at those who fail to provide a safe venue, free of violence.”

Digital Editions


  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde…

More News

  • Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Pearcedale Shopping Centre parking plan sparks backlash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534765 A proposed upgrade of the Pearcedale Village Shopping Centre has sparked strong local opposition, with residents raising concerns over the introduction of 90-degree…

  • ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    ‘Extremely disappointed’: Cranbourne victim slams quick bail

    A Cranbourne family who just moved into the area says they feel unsafe returning home after a burglary suspect was granted bail within a day, with police refusing to provide…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…

  • Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Yabbies in pursuit of Cobras total to stay in hot finals race

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533222 When the back is against the wall a response is needed. And Pakenham Upper/Toomuc’s back is pressed hard against the wall in a…

  • What’s on

    What’s on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 157047 Patsy & Dave Trailblazing country music from Melbourne duo Patsy Toop and David Baird, support act Little Miss Country. Presented by Berwick and…