BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Old-timers dig up the past

Old-timers dig up the past

OLD timers who worked at the Berwick Quarry have started telling stories about their experiences.
The Back to Berwick Quarry Committee is collecting names of people who worked at or were closely involved with the quarry as part of a back to celebration to be held next year as a celebration of 150 years since the quarry began operation.
The committee has arranged to gather as much anecdotal information as possible from older people connected with the quarry and the event probably marks the last chance to do this in an organized way.
So far the names of 80 people have been put forward and already meetings have been held with some.
Mr Clarrie Aurisch, 79, attended the Wednesday 7 May committee meeting at Wilson Botanic Park and told of his experience gathering stone from the quarry.
Committee president Neil Lucas thanked Mr Aurisch and said it was important to hear the stories and to gather historic memorabilia connected with the quarry that was developed into Wilson Botanic Park.
Mr Aurisch said he worked at the quarry for several years during the days when a railway siding came up to the property from the main line.
He proudly displayed a certificate awarded to workers for safety, and ancient petrified trees, he had saved from destruction during quarry operations.
People with information about the quarry or who would like to help with interviewing people are invited to contact Lex Nieboer on 9707 5818.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months.…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 392859 Casey councillors have unanimously approved a controversial planning permit to turn the northern half of the Cranbourne Golf Course into almost 500 homes,…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…