BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Delays at the heart of matter

Delays at the heart of matter

Berwick resident Ronald Cutler is expected to undergo heart bypass today (Thursday) after his surgery was delayed several times.Berwick resident Ronald Cutler is expected to undergo heart bypass today (Thursday) after his surgery was delayed several times.

By Gina Marich
A BERWICK man who has had his open heart surgery cancelled at least four times is blaming the State Government and hospital management for the delay.
Ronald Cutler, 70, was told in February he needed a heart bypass for a debilitating cardiac condition and was placed on a list for elective surgery.
Mr Cutler’s heart condition has limited his mobility and breathing.
“I can’t do much,” he said, “There’s not much quality of life left.”
However, a series of events, including a doctor taking leave, a gastro outbreak at Monash Medical Centre in Clayton, where the operation was scheduled, and last month’s nurses’ union dispute forced the procedure’s delay, Mr Cutler said.
“It’s gone on and on,” he said, “Just one excuse after another.”
Mr Cutler said on Thursday 8 November he was finally admitted to hospital and prepped for operation only to be told there was no room in intensive care. He was then sent home.
His shocked family contacted the media and the story was aired on Channel Seven on Monday.
The next day, the hospital rescheduled Mr Cutler’s operation for today (Thursday).
“If there is something more urgent I don’t mind waiting, but if management is playing around with people I do mind,” Mr Cutler said.
He was also supportive of nurses in their dispute, he said, and understood the wait.
Opposition spokeswoman for health Helen Shardey blames the State Government.
“It is appalling that Mr Cutler had his operation cancelled,” she said in a statement, blaming bed shortages for the delay. “The Health Minister is gambling with people’s lives by mismanaging Victoria’s health system.”
A spokesman for Health Minister Daniel Andrews said the hold-up had nothing to do with government or hospital management.
“Doctors, not politicians, make decisions (about patients),” he said. “The operation was rescheduled for purely clinical reasons.”
Southern Health, which operates Monash Medical Centre, said the postponement was not due to bed shortages.
Southern Health executive director for the acute sector Siva Sivarajah said a more urgent case forced Mr Cutler’s surgery to be rescheduled.
“The hospital has a duty of care to prioritise and ensure the more critical patient is operated on first,” he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Berwick Jewellers on High street were the latest victim of a violent daylight burglary, after a score of masked men stormed the business. Officers responded to reports of three masked…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533970 Casey South Melbourne (5/217) punched its ticket to the Victorian Premier Cricket (VPC) finals by knocking off Ringwood (199) in round 16 and…

  • Bakers sit in the box seat

    Bakers sit in the box seat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533005 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Bloods’ depth does damage

    Bloods’ depth does damage

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13…