Police have had enough

Leading Senior Constable Glen Ziino, Casey Traffic Management Unit Acting Seregant Allen Inderwisch and Constable Zara Roden are putting motorists on notice as they take a zero tolerance with bad driving behaviour after losing another young life on Casey roads last Friday. 33376 Picture: Luke PlummerLeading Senior Constable Glen Ziino, Casey Traffic Management Unit Acting Seregant Allen Inderwisch and Constable Zara Roden are putting motorists on notice as they take a zero tolerance with bad driving behaviour after losing another young life on Casey roads last Friday. 33376 Picture: Luke Plummer

By Kelly Yates
AFTER losing another young life on Casey roads last week, police say they are baffled at the attitudes and behaviour of drivers.
In the two days following Friday’s fatality in Lynbrook, which left a 21-year-old dead, police discovered 22 drivers not wearing seatbelts and five drivers using mobile phones while driving.
But just hours after the smash, police clocked a driver travelling at 106km/h in a 60km/h zone on Hallam Road, just north of the fatal intersection.
Police also charged a 25-year-old man on Sunday with drink-driving offences after a single-vehicle collision at the same intersection.
Casey Traffic Management Unit Acting Sergeant Allen Inderwisch said police nabbed four unlicensed drivers, one disqualified driver and found nine unregistered vehicles over the weekend.
“Police also detected two drivers failing to display P plates and another driver operating fog lights when not required,” he said.
Speeding drivers are continuing to tear up the streets with police catching 29 drivers exceeding the speed limit by less than 25km/h last weekend.
Act Sgt Inderwisch said the latest figures were unacceptable.
“Everyone talks about how tragic it is to lose young lives on the road but they don’t seem to be changing their driving habits,” he said.
Police are putting motorists on notice as they will not tolerate bad driving.
“We don’t care if you are running late for work, if you are late dropping the kids off, if you just answered the phone to tell whoever is calling that you’ll call them back, or if you just left the service station and haven’t had a chance to put your seatbelt on yet. What we care about is reducing the road toll in Casey.”
Police will be cracking down on drivers who think they are above the law.
Authorities are gearing up to assemble a strike-force of the division’s top traffic police to target intelligence-based hotspots at random times, under Operation Eagles.
The ongoing operation will begin today in Casey.
“No excuses will be accepted,” Act Sgt Inderwisch said.
“If you use your mobile phone while driving you will be fined.
“If you do more than 25km/h over the speed limit you will lose your licence.
“If you take part in hoon behaviour you will have your car seized.
“And if you kill someone because of your driving behaviour you will go to jail.”