BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Police pulling together on crime

Police pulling together on crime

By Kelly Yates
VICTORIA Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland dropped into the Narre Warren Police Station yesterday to celebrate the merger of the Cranbourne and Narre Warren Criminal Investigation Units into the Casey Criminal Investigation Unit (CIU).
Detective Senior Sergeant Darren Humphries said both units were now together under the same roof after recent renovation works.
“They’ve always been split and had two separate offices yet recently it was decided to bring them together and operate as the Casey CIU,” Det Sen Sgt Humphries said.
Two Detective Senior Sergeants, four Detective Sergeants, 17 Detectives, and the Tactical Intelligence Operatives will be based at the station, with the Casey Response Unit and the crime desk also positioned there.
Casey Inspector Andrew Miles said the amalgamation meant that police had the ability to undertake larger, more effective operations previously not possible with two fragmented CIUs. Det Sen Sgt Humphries said the local police were pleased with the new open-plan office.
“It will enable us to create a united force to help combat the crime in Casey,” he said.
The Chief Commissioner got a tour of the offices and its refurbishment works, costing around $140,000.
“We’re excited that the Chief Commissioner made the time to come and officially open the new building,” Det Sen Sgt Humphries said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…