BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Cash injection

Cash injection

THE Emergency Department at Casey Hospital will stay open during the evenings thanks to a $107 million funding announcement by the Federal Government.
Rumours were rife among hospital staff that the Emergency Department would close its doors during the evening, which could push patients to other hospitals, put added strain on ambulance services and force night shift workers to switch locations or resign.
On Wednesday last week, the Federal Labor Government prevented the closure by taking the unusual step of redirecting $107 million in funding to the frontline hospital administration of Victoria’s health systems, which would otherwise have gone to the State Government treasury.
On Thursday, Federal Minister for Health Tanya Plibersek, alongside La Trobe MP Laura Smyth, visited the Casey Hospital and said the news was beneficial for staff and residents.
State Government Premier Ted Baillieu said he welcomed the news that the Emergency Department would no longer close its doors, but said the $107 million was reinstated from previous Federal Government financial cuts and that the announcement only applied until 30 June.
Gembrook MP Brad Battin and Liberal candidate for La Trobe, Jason Wood launched a petition on Friday calling on the Federal Labor Government to restore the full amount of funding for Victorian hospitals.
But Federal Minister for Health Tanya Plibersek said the move to redirect the funding was made after concerns ran high about services being cut at the hospital due to the lack of State Government funding.
The announcement came after two medical professionals, who asked to remain anonymous, called on both the state and federal governments to find a solution so the Emergency Department did not close.
One medical professional said not only would the closure of the Emergency Department in the evening affect patients and other hospitals, it could also increase wait times for ambulances which had to transfer injured or sick Casey residents.
“People will not have to travel further to go to other hospitals, meaning the ambulances will be out of the area,” she said.
“It puts an increased workload on paramedics and on other hospitals. “
Another person said the emergency department at Casey Hospital was always busy at night, and the closure of it in the evenings would put a strain on nearby hospitals.
“It’s crazy at nights, sometimes people have to wait five or six hours. If they go to Dandenong, they may have to wait longer now,” she said.
“I am hoping both the federal and state government come to the party and find a solution. The whole health system needs a shake-up.”
Southern Health Emergency Medical Professor George Braitberg said the staff were relieved when they learned of the news.
Mr Baillieu said while he was glad the $107 million was being reinstated, the announcement only applied until 30 June and “left in place a further $368 million in cuts over three years, which will again impact significantly on Victoria’s hospitals and patients from 1 July this year.”
Mr Battin agreed.
“The Prime Minister has bowed to community pressure for the short term, but hospitals need the $368 million still owing to them,” Mr Battin said.
“In January Local Labor MP Laura Smyth was telling local papers the cuts are ‘nonsense’ – yet the funding cuts are clearly outlined in Treasury documents, and states across Australia have vocally criticised the Commonwealth for the cuts to their health budgets.
“The Prime Minister has also said that she plans to take the $107 million to be put back into the health system this year from other Victorian programs. “
Mr Battin said the decision to put $107 million back into the health system came after Canberra claimed that Victoria needed fewer services because of a population decrease.
“The Prime Minister claimed there were 11,000 fewer people living in Victoria than there were a year earlier, however the Commonwealth’s own statistician confirmed that Victoria’s population grew by 75,400 people in 2011,” Mr Battin said.
To sign the petition, visit Brad Battin’s office at Suite 5/6-8 Langmore Lane, Berwick.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…