BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » It’s a grand stand

It’s a grand stand

By GARRY HOWE

THE Casey community will gain a high class function and events centre with the announcement on Wednesday afternoon of a $3.6 million make-over of the Cranbourne Racing Centre grandstand.
Premier Denis Napthine announced yesterday that $1.8 million in unclaimed TAB tickets, from the Victorian Racing Industry Fund, would help finance the development.
“This is great use of government money, although I don’t really like to call it government money, because we are actually using racing money,” he told a crowd of stakeholders from the racing industry and local community.
“It comes from unclaimed dividends – those who haven’t collected winnings or refunds from a scratching.”
The remaining $1.8 million comes from the thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing industries.
Dr Napthine said Cranbourne was one of the few centres to host all three racing codes and is famous for hosting its annual Tricodes meeting.
He said it was another example of three codes coming together for a positive outcome.
“There is great synergy here and when these groups work together you get a better outcome,” he said. “It’s like adding one plus one plus one to get five.”
The redeveloped grandstand will feature:
A 400-seat function centre for both racing and non-racing events.
Tiered raceday seating for 150 patrons.
Expanded corporate hospitality facilities.
Modern bars, dining rooms, tote outlets, fittings and kitchens.
And a fully enclosed glass panelled grandstand.
Dr Napthine said the government had to be convinced that the project would not only benefit racing patrons, but the growing Casey and Cranbourne community as a whole.
“We looked at this hard, we don’t provide money like this lightly,” he said
“We had to make sure this grandstand redevelopment delivered benefits not only to the three racing codes but to the whole community.
“We are confident it will provide a function centre second to none in the community that can be used by a wide range of groups.”
Dr Napthine said a number of local schools and sporting clubs were already interested in using it for the likes of graduations, balls and award nights.
He said the Cranbourne Racing Centre, which raced more than 100 times a year day and night, provided many jobs and tremendous economic benefit for the region.
“This project will create an additional 85 jobs during the construction phase and deliver a further 55 ongoing jobs when the grandstand and function centre are complete,” Dr Napthine said.
“This will add to the 1400 people who are already employed at the Cranbourne Racing and Training Centre and through associated racing service industries in the region.”
Dr Napthine said the grandstand development was a vital add-on to the $6.7 million lights project completed last year that allowed Cranbourne to be a major player, along with Moonee Valley, in a night racing series the envy of the other states.
“When we get a success story, like in business, we want to build on that success and that’s what they have done here at Cranbourne.”
The existing grandstand has been in operation since the mid-1980s.
Cranbourne Turf Club and Recreation Reserve committee of management chairman Geoff Whiffen said the funding announcement was a win not only for the racing industry, but for the community as a whole.
He said a date for the start of construction would be decided after consultation between the three codes, but it was unlikely to be before the end of the year.

Digital Editions


  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning…

More News

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…