BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » School kitchen plundered

School kitchen plundered

By BRIDGET COOK

THE River Gum Primary School community now has something else they need to grow to carry on their kitchen garden program – all their appliances after they were robbed recently.
The kitchen at the Hampton Park school, which used to run the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program, was broken into overnight on Monday 20 May.
Every electrical item was stolen from the kitchen including blenders, mixers, rice cooker, slow cooker, deep fryer, pie warmer, scales, microwave, stick blenders, food processor and kitchen aid mixer.
Program teacher Christine Talbot said it was a devastating blow for the program, which they managed to get running last year.
“During the past 12 months, we have been fund-raising and had managed to collect quite a few electrical items for the kitchen so that we could hold classes,” she said.
“We have struggled to hold classes as we have a tiny kitchen and need our appliances to manage.
“It is very hard to hold classes without the right equipment.
“Because we have a tiny area, I try to use different appliances rather than just the oven
“We have only 90 minutes to cook a complete meal.”
As part of the kitchen garden program, students get to grow vegetables in a vegetable garden and then use the fresh ingredients to cook healthy meals.
“Part of this program is the vegetable garden where students have the opportunity to grow vegetables and learn about nurturing their growth,” Ms Talbot said.
“Our students are learning about planting, harvesting and cooking, and it is important to pick and cook at the peak time.”
Ms Talbot urged any businesses that could donate electrical appliances or kitchen equipment to the school to do so, so they can continue to run the program.
Anyone with information about the burglary is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Editions


  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia.…

More News

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…

  • Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

    Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 182116 Ex two-time Casey Mayor and VFL footballer Geoff Ablett has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND), prompting his family to launch a…

  • New threatened species facility opens at Moonlit Sanctuary

    New threatened species facility opens at Moonlit Sanctuary

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531518 Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park in Pearcedale officially unveiled its new purpose-built Aquatic Fauna Conservation Facility on Tuesday 10 February. Featuring precise environmental…