BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Mum slams ambo response

Mum slams ambo response

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

A BERWICK mother who said she eventually suffered a heart attack was told to make her own way to hospital when she first contacted paramedics for help.
Sarah Eken’s husband, Cebrail, rang triple zero after 9pm on Tuesday 25 February when his wife started feeling extreme chest and arm pains.
Ms Eken said it was recommended that her husband drive her to Casey Hospital.
Ms Eken said her family were told it would take between one and four hours for an ambulance to arrive.
“By this time I was rolling around on the floor in pain and my husband’s put me on loud speaker to talk to the paramedic,” she said.
“The paramedic said it didn’t sound like a heart condition, it sounded like indigestion and asked if I could be driven to Casey Hospital.
“My husband picked me up and put me in the car.”
After being admitted to Casey Hospital, Ms Eken said she later suffered a heart attack and was transferred to Monash Hospital.
But before being admitted, Ms Eken claims she was writhing on the waiting room floor at Casey Hospital before she received attention.
Ms Eken said she had also been diagnosed with blocked arteries, and was horrified by how long it took to be seen at Casey Hospital.
“I was beside myself throughout my ordeal, I just couldn’t understand why I was unable to get the help I so desperately needed,” Ms Eken said.
“My daughter is traumatised by our experience and has rarely left my side since I was finally released from hospital.
“Something must be done; no one deserves to be treated as I was.”
Ambulance Victoria regional manager Cath Anderson said Ms Eken’s condition was not “time-critical” when a paramedic was first contacted.
“While the woman’s condition was not time-critical, the paramedic advised the original caller that the patient was in a queue for an ambulance, which could take up to an hour,” she said.
Ms Anderson said the paramedic asked if Ms Eken was able to “go in the car to hospital if the caller could take her there”.
“The caller then elected to take the woman to hospital and called triple zero again at 10.53pm to advise that she had been taken to hospital,” Ms Anderson said.
“We always prioritise our ambulances to respond to the sickest patients first, particularly those with life-threatening conditions.
“While the patient’s condition was not time-critical, the paramedic provided appropriate and safe advice that was focussed on the patient’s best interests.”
Casey Hospital Director of Emergency Medicine Thomas Chan said the hospital’s emergency department continues to perform well against state performance targets.
“The care that was provided for the patient at Casey Hospital was appropriate based on the symptoms presented,” Mr Chan said.
“After careful assessment the patient was transferred, in a timely manner, to Monash Medical Centre for further treatment.”
Narre Warren South MP Judith Graley said cuts to the health system have left Casey Hospital in crisis.
“Suffering from severe chest pain and in desperate need of aid, Sarah was unable to get an ambulance and her husband and terrified daughter were forced to drive her to Casey Hospital,” Ms Graley said.
“Unfortunately the emergency department was once again overflowing and Sarah was left to wait, writhing in agony on the floor, before finally receiving attention.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…