BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Safety works for smash junction

Safety works for smash junction

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

AN INFAMOUS Doveton intersection which has seen more than 10 traffic collisions since 2008 is set to receive more than $100,000 from the State Government for safety upgrades.
On Tuesday Assistant Treasurer Gordon Rich-Phillips announced the $105,000 investment to improve the treacherous Heatherton Road and Monash Freeway intersection as part of the government’s Safer Road Infrastructure Program (SRIP).
“Works at the site will include improved lighting, line marking and signage and the installation of a traffic signal mast arm which will allow traffic signal lanterns to be located directly above the traffic lanes, improving visibility for drivers,” Mr Rich-Phillips said.
“In the five years to December 2012, there were 11 collisions at this location including three serious injury crashes.
“Four of these collisions occurred due to cars turning right from Heatherton Road onto the Monash Freeway, so this project will help to address this.”
The money allocated for the Doveton upgrades forms part of the $17.7 million in SRIP funding announced by the government last week for 26 similarly treacherous sites across the state.
Among the locations confirmed for the SRIP funding are Williams Landing, Seaford, Balwyn, Caulfield South, Nunawading, Mount Waverley, Ashburton, Coolaroo and Doveton.
Roads Minister Terry Mulder said SRIP funding was used for road improvements as well as repairs to roadsides and nearby infrastructure to reduce the risk of “run-off road” crashes at intersections.
“Projects are chosen based on an assessment of crash statistics to determine the type of crashes occurring at a particular location and then using that information to develop treatments that will help prevent further incidents,” Mr Mulder said.
“Projects are designed to provide extra protection for pedestrians or cyclists or to install measures like signal controlled right turning lanes which can reduce the risk at some intersections.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…