BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Space approved

Space approved

By LACHLAN MOORHEAD

THE set-up of a Headspace facility at Fountain Gate Shopping Centre has been confirmed following concerns aired by federal Labor that the Narre Warren rollout may be in jeopardy.
Headspace confirmed on Wednesday that the facility will be set up in Narre Warren by South Eastern Melbourne Medicare Local (SEMML) under an interim agreement.
The confirmation comes after Holt MP Anthony Byrne raised doubts in June about the future of the facility following the release of the Federal Budget, which revealed the removal of Medicare Locals.
Funding to the South East Melbourne Medicare Local (SEMML), which was awarded the tender to run a Headspace office at the Fountain Gate shopping centre precinct in Narre Warren earlier this year, will cease on 30 June 2015 as the Federal Government moves to replace 61 Medicare Locals in the country with Primary Health Networks.
But Headspace CEO Chris Tanti confirmed the Narre Warren Headspace project would go ahead.
“To ensure the next round of Headspace centres are established within the original timeframes, Medicare Locals selected to operate new centres have been invited to lead the establishment under an interim agreement,” he said.
“The running of the Headspace centre in Narre Warren will be reviewed as we get closer to the transition from Medicare Locals to Primary Health Networks.
“We will work with the federalMinister for Health to determine the best way forward to ensure the sustainability and success of the centre.
“Our main priority is to provide the full range of Headspace services to young people and families in this community.”
Mr Byrne welcomed the Headspace confirmation.
“I’m pleased that young people in the area now have certainty about the establishment of a Headspace at Fountain Gate,” he said.
“This is a service that the young people in our area deserve, want and need as soon as possible.
“I congratulate the young people from around the country that came together to lobby the Federal Government to continue to provide the Headspace services and I thank the Health Minister for listening to their concerns.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Brazen daylight burglary at Berwick Jewellers, man taken to hospital

    Berwick Jewellers on High street were the latest victim of a violent daylight burglary, after a score of masked men stormed the business. Officers responded to reports of three masked…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Casey South Melbourne punches ticket to the postseason

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533970 Casey South Melbourne (5/217) punched its ticket to the Victorian Premier Cricket (VPC) finals by knocking off Ringwood (199) in round 16 and…

  • Bakers sit in the box seat

    Bakers sit in the box seat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533005 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Bloods’ depth does damage

    Bloods’ depth does damage

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) round 13…