BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Emergency lockdown as patient runs riot

Emergency lockdown as patient runs riot

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

CASEY Hospital’s emergency department went into lockdown after a violent patient smashed double-plate windows with an oxygen cylinder on Wednesday evening.
Staff and patients were evacuated, while other staff were forced to lock themselves in rooms until the man walked out of the department just as police arrived.
The hospital’s three security guards reportedly attended the incident.
A distressed staff member said it was lucky no-one was injured after the man “started screaming and then hitting the windows” in the room he was in, eventually smashing the windows.
“It almost sounded like gun shots – it was so loud.
“This incident was extreme and one of the worst episodes of patient violence and aggression that I have witnessed.”
The staff member described a young girl near the incident who was “crying and trembling in fear”.
Casey emergency staff are routinely punched, kicked, spat upon and throttled by “aggressive and abusive” people, many fuelled on ice, the staff member said.
She said no-one was injured during Wednesday’s incident, except the patient suffering some minor cuts.
“Some of us have had training on how to physically restrain or take down people.
“In this situation it was deemed too dangerous due to the glass everywhere.
“The plan was to stay out of the area and direct him to the exit if he came out.”
The staff member said it was “lucky” that at the time there were no resuscitation patients, who are treated in the next room.
“If someone is intubated they cannot be easily moved due to the risk to their life.”
Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation state assistant secretary Paul Gilbert said the man had been in “desperate need” for an acute mental health ward bed.
“He had to be cared for in the ED due to a shortage of mental health beds.”
It is believed the man was later treated at the hospital’s mental health ward.
In response to the incident, the ANMF reiterated its urging for the State Government to implement the federation’s 10-point plan to tackle violence and aggression against hospital nurses and midwives
“This latest attack follows the full release of an (Auditor-General’s) report into occupational violence and aggression … showing there was not enough being done by the Department of Health and WorkSafe to protect nurses and midwives at work,” Mr Gilbert said.
The State Government provided $20 million towards health service violence prevention – such as security cameras and reconfiguration of hospital rooms – in the 2015/16 state budget.
A spokeswoman for Health Minister Jill Hennessy said it was “particularly concerning that those who care for others – often at their most vulnerable – face an elevated risk of violence”.
She said the government, which signed the 10-point plan before the last year’s State Election, was committed to implementing it.
A Monash Health spokesman said the hospital group was “proud” of the staff’s response to the incident.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…