BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Speedy riddance of dumped vehicles

Speedy riddance of dumped vehicles

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

KEEN to ditch any comparisons to “The Bronx”, Casey Council will lobby to tow away stolen registered vehicles just a week after they’re dumped on roadsides and nature strips.
Mayor Sam Aziz, who raised the proposal at a 16 August meeting, said under state law registered owners had at least 60 days to collect their misappropriated cars before the council could tow the vehicles away.
It was a “ridiculous and unnecessary” waiting period to remove often unsightly burnt-out vehicles, he said.
Cr Aziz said the council should be able to act sooner because it didn’t want its neighbourhoods to “look like The Bronx”.
“We care very much about the appearance of our neighbourhoods”.
Under the push, the council will request Local Government Minister Natalie Hutchins to amend the law so “registered but illegally parked” vehicles could be removed after seven days.
Councillor Louise Berkelmans asked the meeting if an owner could get an extension if they had difficulties removing their cars within a week.
A council officer replied that if an owner rang the council, “we will accommodate that if possible”.
Cr Aziz responded that “we certainly don’t want extensions of time”.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Akoonah Park Men’s Shed gave a unique honour last week to a woman who has dedicated many years to wildlife conservation, collaborating with the men’s group to create an innovative…

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…