BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Council flags at half-mast until ‘terrorism’ tackled

Council flags at half-mast until ‘terrorism’ tackled

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

CASEY Council has stepped up its law-and-order campaign, resolving to fly its flags at half-mast until there’s further police and government action on violent crime.
At a council meeting on 6 September, mayor Sam Aziz introduced the motion which included setting up an online petition that automatically lobbies Victorian and federal politicians.
He labelled the spate of home invasions and carjackings as a form of terrorism.
“When you think about terrorism, it is intended to make you fearful. There may not be a risk to you directly, but you don’t know for sure.”
The motion follows fast after a special council meeting on 1 September that endorsed lobbying for more Casey-based police, tougher sentencing and a taskforce on violent street gangs.
Cr Aziz said there had been no response from the State Government and Victoria Police command since the special meeting, but at least three more serious incidents including a “terrible” attempted carjacking on Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road.
He’s spoken to people planning to move their sofa behind their home’s front door at night.
“Given Casey residents are in distress and not feeling safe in their homes, we will be flying the Casey flag at half-mast till we get action to protect our community,” Cr Aziz said.
“Our community has been under siege from the escalating violence. Why should our residents put up with this?”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…