BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Bail refused after ‘very dangerous’ driving

Bail refused after ‘very dangerous’ driving

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

A Narre Warren South man has been refused bail after being accused of nearly running over a pedestrian in a Cranbourne hotel car park at high speed while evading police.
After his arrest, Michael Shane Hawkins allegedly called a police officer a “f***ing c**khead” at the end of an allegedly non-remorseful interview, Dandenong Magistrates’ Court heard.
“You have such an appalling attitude,” said magistrate Jack Vandersteen, who noted Hawkins’ bail had been extended by a court six days before the “very dangerous” incident.
Police in an unmarked car had tried to intercept the disqualified Hawkins in an unregistered Club Sport Holden in the Settlement Hotel car park about 11.45am on 28 February, the court was told.
Instead of obeying police directions, Hawkins allegedly reversed the vehicle from a parking bay at speed and rapidly accelerated away from the officers.
The vehicle allegedly missed a pedestrian narrowly as it sped out of the driveway and – without stopping – pulled out across four lanes of South Gippsland Highway lunch-hour traffic.
The sedan mounted the highway’s median strip as Hawkins escaped.
Six days before the incident, Hawkins had been bailed on eight charges of burglary, theft and handling stolen goods.
He had already been on bail and a community corrections order with judicial monitoring.
Sgt Delaney said Hawkins had an extensive criminal history including drugs, offensive weapons, trafficking meth and drug-driving.
In applying for bail, defence lawyer Adrian Dessi said Hawkins was relatively young, had never been previously imprisoned and had no priors for dangerous driving or driving unlicensed.
Mr Dessi argued Hawkins was seeking treatment for his bi-polar “impulsivity”, had attended corrections-order appointments and had not broken his night curfew.
A close relative told the court he could disable the Club Sport vehicle to stop Hawkins driving it.
He said that Hawkins was “a kid trying to get his life where it should be” but had been damaged by past ice use.
“That’s a battle. We can see he’s trying to get on top of these things and get them behind him.
“You’re not your own person when you’re on that stuff.”
The relative said Hawkins was a hard-worker but since police confiscated all his tools – including allegedly stolen ones – he didn’t have the means to repay his debts.
“What’s probably happened is he’s got the gambling bug heavily because he doesn’t have the money and the ability to repay money any more.
“He’s probably the hardest worker I’ve ever met. He doesn’t stop for lunch.”
Mr Vandersteen said Hawkins’ alleged offending had escalated into burglaries and dangerous driving since being put on a corrections order in October.
He said Hawkins had “never properly committed” to a court order since his first corrections order in 2012.
“Most of what you need is already in place and you continue to re-offend.
“You were not to drive a motor vehicle, and your driving is at the high-end of a reckless conduct charge.”
Mr Vandersteen said Hawkins was a danger to the public if released, and had failed to show cause for bail.
The accused was remanded to appear at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 27 March.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…