BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Driver grilled over kebab run claim

Driver grilled over kebab run claim

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

A man has told police he was driving unlicensed so his hungry associate – who was unable to drive due to a broken foot – could get a kebab.
Clint Little, 35, of McRae, was facing his 10th driving unlicensed, suspended or disqualified charge at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 6 March.
He had been intercepted by police at a Hallam convenience store just after midnight on 18 December, the court heard.
The unregistered vehicle was affixed with a stolen rear number-plate, and contained a large amount of tools and equipment which was believed to be for burglaries and thefts, the court was told.
The tools and car belonged to Little’s associate, the court was told.
Little was also charged with driving an unroadworthy vehicle – with four unfit tyres, a broken-off indicator stalk and a tow-bar held on with tape.
The accused told police he wasn’t aware the vehicle’s plate was stolen or different, or that the vehicle was unroadworthy.
Little’s lawyer said the accused at the time was eligible to have his licence returned after a 12-month suspension.
“He hadn’t got around to being re-licensed,” the lawyer said – adding that Little had been “considerably inconvenienced” by relying on taxis and friends to get to work.
Little, who had previously served a community corrections order for similar offending and burglary, should be given “one final opportunity” to avoid jail, his lawyer said.
“An immediate custodial sentence is not the only option.
“Any further infractions would mean Mr Little would almost certainly go to jail.”
Magistrate Julie O’Donnell noted Little’s “extraordinary” amount of prior history, though “the only thing going for him” was he wasn’t disqualified at the time.
“When does the court say enough is enough,” Ms O’Donnell said.
Little was convicted, fined $1000 and put on a 12-month community corrections order with 200 hours of voluntary work.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…