BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Mobile connectivity priority

Mobile connectivity priority

The future of growing suburbs and their connectivity in the City of Casey is taking another step forward, following the most recent council meeting and a Federal Government plan on universal outdoor mobile coverage.

The Universal Outdoor Mobile Obligation (UOMO) came just a week after the City of Casey’s councillors motioned a submission for mobile connection to be an essential service.

On Tuesday, 25 February, UOMO was announced as a mandate that will require mobile carriers to provide access to mobile voice and SMS around the country.

Dillwynia Ward councillor Anthony Walter said that he welcomes “any investment that will improve telecommunications in Casey”.

“Particularly in Clyde and Clyde North, and I look forward to hearing more through the consultation process,” he said.

Likewise, at Casey’s first council meeting on Tuesday, 18 February, the first and only motion passed was a Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) State Council submission that would consider cellular telecom networks as an ‘essential service’.

This was moved by Akoonah Ward councillor Scott Dowling and seconded by Tooradin Ward councillor Jennifer Dizon, who showed staunch support for their essentiality.

In an interview with Star News, Dizon said that telecommunications and the connectivity that it provides is crucial, not just for her and the neighbouring wards, but for Casey as a whole.

“This is an amazing development, but my stance on the Federal Government’s announcement is to simply keep advocating for the residents,” she said.

“I’m sure many understand that these telecom issues, council is not directly responsible for, but I have been working tirelessly to get the relevant people, to push them to get things done.

Clyde and Clyde North, in the eastern fringes of the city, have carried the weight of a swiftly growing population with lagging infrastructure.

The most prevalent, second only to roads, was mobile connectivity, an issue that was widely addressed in 2024 after the installation of two mobile towers, one in each respective suburb.

The chair of the 2024 Regional Telecommunications Review, Hon Alannah MacTiernan, also welcomed the development and said that this was “fantastic news for regional Australians”.

“The UOMO will guarantee voice and message services across this vast continent.

“This reform will leverage the rapidly emerging direct-to-handset technology to make sure that we can maximise the opportunity for Australians, wherever they are, to stay connected,” she said.

To be precise, it was said to ensure up to 5 million square kilometres of coverage across the country, including 37,000 kilometres on regional roads.

Looking more locally, the Peri Urban Mobile Program (PUMP) was announced in October last year, where both Holt MP Cassandra Fernando and the Federal Minister for Communications Michelle Rowland attended the new site for a mobile tower in Clyde.

While the UOMO has a strong focus on regional connectivity, it plays a strong hand in making mobile connection as a whole an integral part of everyday living, aligning with the motion that Casey passed.

Especially considering the struggles that local residents have faced in Casey, in areas like Clyde and Clyde North, when it comes to being connected.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…