BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Building up for second lake gathering

Building up for second lake gathering

With the second community gathering at Guru Nanak Lake set for Sunday, 23 March, Michael Ball, event organiser and resident, isn’t willing to let the lack of consultation go under the rug.

The minutes of the most recent Casey Council meeting on Tuesday, 18 March have been released, and with it, details of Ball’s public question about Casey’s role in community awareness.

When Ball asked why Casey did not lead the consultation process, the response from both Kathyrn Serilis and James Collins, both part of the executive team, said that the State Government “should lead the consultation with the community”.

“It is unclear to us how this requirement was not met by the State Government, who do not have a dedicated website to undertake such consultations,” they said.

Malcolm Sharp, who is part of the Berwick Springs Community, alongside Ball, asked the question of why Ingrid Stitt, the minister for multicultural affairs, stated that Casey provided support for the landmark.

Also replied to by Serilis and Collins, it was stated that the council is “unaware of” and “has not seen” the correspondence.

Furthermore, they added that the “council has never formed a position via resolution for support or otherwise for renaming the lake”.

When reiterated by Lorraine Pratley, local resident, on Casey’s involvement in leading the dialogue with the community, Serilis and Collins once more said that the responsibility lay with Melbourne Water and the state.

“Council officers were not made aware until after the renaming had been gazetted that this was the path that the Government took disappointingly,” they said.

In the lead-up to the event, Ball remains adamant that the State Government needs to take responsibility for the lack of public conference, still critical of the term ‘naming’, considering the initial media release from Stitt calling it a ‘renaming’.

As of now, it is confirmed that local Kowan Ward councillor Shane Taylor will be attending, who previously voiced his disappointment with the lack of consultation.

Councillors Lynette Pereira and Michelle Crowther were also said to be attending, with Southeastern MP Ann-Marie Hermans also set to make her second appearance at the lake since November 2024.

This story is developing, and more details will be added once they become available.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 520714 What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months.…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Cranbourne Golf Course housing plan approved amid housing pressure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 392859 Casey councillors have unanimously approved a controversial planning permit to turn the northern half of the Cranbourne Golf Course into almost 500 homes,…

  • Clyde up for the challenge

    Clyde up for the challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533226 A red-hot Rutter Park battle saw the two most in-form teams of the competition in Tooradin and Clyde go back-and-forth on day one…

  • Tons galore in lower grades

    Tons galore in lower grades

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533224 B GRADE Table-leaders Pakenham Upper/Toomuc have been set a monumental task by Tooradin after the Seagulls posted 267 in the first innings at…