Vehicle dumped in Dandenong of interest following arson attacks in Melbourne’s east

A burnt-out vehicle that was located in Dandenong is of interest after it was captured by CCTV footage at a Kilsyth factory fire in January this year. (On File)

A burnt-out white Toyota Prado 4WD was found at Greaves Reserve in Dandenong on 3 January 2025, linked to two deliberately lit factory fires that caused an estimated $25 million in damage in Melbourne’s east.

The arson attacks, which are believed to be linked, occurred just over a week apart in Bayswater and Kilsyth late last year and early this year.

The first incident occurred at a business on Melrich Road, Bayswater, about 4am on Monday, 23 December 2024.

The second incident occurred at a separate business on Canterbury Road, Kilsyth, about 3am on Wednesday 1 January 2025.

In both incidents, it is believed a group of unknown male offenders gained access to the premises, poured petrol inside and deliberately set the buildings alight.

As part of the ongoing investigation, detectives are seeking information from the public in relation to four vehicles of interest that were seen during the incidents.

The 2016 white Toyota Prado was captured by CCTV on the same night as a white 2017 Mitsubishi Eclipse wagon at the Kilsyth factory fire at about 3am on 1 January 2025.

The Eclipse was found burnt out on Deals Road, Clayton South, on 29 January 2025.

A blue 2012 Toyota Camry sedan was seen travelling inbound on Eastlink at approximately 3.30am on 23 December prior to the Bayswater factory fire.

The vehicle was captured on CCTV at the factory and later seen on Mountain Highway, Bayswater; the vehicle was recovered by police on 17 January 2025, after being parked for three days at Jubilee Park in Frankston.

Detective Inspector and investigation and response manager Glen Cruse said that “these were deliberate, coordinated, and highly dangerous arson attacks”.

“Both factories were located din busy commercial areas surrounded by other businesses, the risk to nearby property was significant, and it’s extremely fortunate no one was seriously injured or killed.”

Police believe the incident was targeted, with investigators urging anyone who may have information about the people involved, vehicles of interest or relevant CCTV or dashcam footage from the areas and times of interest to contact police.

“Our investigation is progressing, and our detectives are closing in on those responsible,” Cruse said.

“Investigators are urging anyone who may have information, including dashcam or CCTV footage from both locations, or know who was involved to come forward.”

Anyone with information can contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au