BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » ‘Sacked’ campaign manager denies posts

‘Sacked’ campaign manager denies posts

The Liberal campaign manager in Bruce has denied making a series of abusive social media posts that led to him being sacked from the campaign.

Andrew McNabb, a long-time Liberal member from Officer, says that the offending X account under his name is not his.

“Currently X is investigating this account as the email address attached to it is not mine.”

McNabb had been running the federal-election campaign for candidate Zahid Safi in a key seat held by Labor on a 5 per cent margin.

The Age reported that posts from an X account under McNabb’s name attacked female anti-Liberal critics, as well as politicians including Bruce Labor MP Julian Hill.

The Age reports that the X account of 32 followers has been since switched to private.

Bruce MP Julian Hill said in response: “I encourage the Bruce Liberals to keep speaking for themselves. It’s important that people know what they’re actually like.

“Meanwhile I’ll stay focused on our community.”

A Liberal Party spokesperson reportedly stated to The Age: “The party has been aware of completely unacceptable comments made by a volunteer.

“He is no longer involved in the campaign.

“Those comments do not reflect the party’s values or the standards we expect.”

McNabb was shrouded in similar controversy as a Cardinia Shire council election candidate in 2020.

He denied making controversial posts on his Facebook account, including supporting a ban on Muslim immigration.

His account had been hacked “a number of times”, he told Pakenham Star Gazette at the time.

“They aren’t my views … and I agree with you they are just wrong,” he then said.

In 2015, he was suspended from the party after leading a protest at a Berwick fundraiser for then-state upper house Liberal MP Inga Peulich.

As a talkback radio caller earlier that year, he publicly confronted the Liberal then-Prime Minister Tony Abbott, calling him the “world’s worst salesman”.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…