BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Aussie-only steel for new Dandenong aquatic centre

Aussie-only steel for new Dandenong aquatic centre

Imported steel has been expressly barred from the $122 million Dandenong Wellbeing Centre project.

This year, ADCO Constructions was controversially appointed by Greater Dandenong Council to build the DWC complex in Mills Reserve.

This was despite ADCO Group facing charges from Victorian Building Authority and WorkSafe over a large section of imported-steel framework collapsing at the Kew Recreation Centre redevelopment in 2022.

Greater Dandenong Council’s city futures executive director Sanjay Manivasagasivam told a council meeting on 26 July that all steel on the project will be sourced in Australia.

“There won’t be imported steel accepted.”

After tender negotiations with ADCO Constructions, the steel would be put through three checking mechanisms, Manivasagasivam said.

It would go under an independent check, a check by ADCO as well as “ADCO’s own independent” check before being used on the project.

Cr Rhonda Garad raised the issue in light of a Melbourne Magistrates’ Court hearing into the charges last month.

The hearing continues with a committal mention on 16 September.

The VBA alleges ADCO Group knowingly carried out building work outside of what was allowed under their building permit.

This includes that the company fabricated and erected a steel roof truss containing four spliced sections, instead of a single length of steel as required under the permit.

The VBA also alleges that the welding of the structural steel framework was non-compliant and the steel used in the truss did not meet Australian standards.

If found guilty ADCO Group’s nominee director John Conroy could face imprisonment and a fine of up to $108,000 on each charge.

The company also faces fines of up to $540,000 for each offence.

ADCO has stated it is strongly defending the allegations.

Since the Kew roof collapse, ADCO had been appointed to build Kingston’s $87 million aquatic and leisure centre, as well as just finished a $75 million Carnegie Memorial Pool redevelopment.

Works officially started on the DWC last month.

It is expected to open in 2027.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…