BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Ace Classic set for Pakenham

Ace Classic set for Pakenham

The Ace Classic tennis tournament is set to come to Pakenham in 2026 after two years at Bunyip Tennis Club.

The central location of the 18-court Pakenham Tennis Centre will accommodate the increased popularity and professionalism of the tournament as organisers seek to continually expand.

Run across the Australia Day weekend, the four-day event – increased from three days last year – will have at least a $7,500 prize pool in 2026 with optimism that the draw will again attract high quality players.

The prize pool of previous editions have lured multiple top 1000 players which provides benefit to the tennis community in the south east.

“There’s not many opportunities you get as a local player to be even in that same space as top 1000 players,” Tournament Director Chris Millidonis said.

“For juniors coming up through the ranks, an opportunity for them to play against high quality players is really good and provides a chance to network and connect.

“The tennis community is really good at helping others along the way.

“There are so many benefits having the cross between local and professional players.

“Even if juniors are playing against highly credentialed players, if they can pick up a couple of games here or there, that can help their (Universal Tennis Ranking) which can help them get accepted into tournaments or have a higher seed.”

As part of the growth, the 2026 Ace Classic is set to include a consolation tournament, enabling players eliminated early in the tournament to gain further match practice.

The long term goal of the tournament is to attract top 200 players eliminated in the first week of the Australian Open, with that bold ambition highlighting the significant work being done behind the scenes to make the Ace Classic the best possible product.

“Moving it to Pakenham gives it the most potential to grow in future years,” Millidonis said.

“It’s big for the Pakenham Tennis Community.

“Being more central and closer to the Australian Open when there are a lot of people in Melbourne provides some really good opportunities.

“We want to keep growing the event.

“We hope to run it really well too, we want to look after the players.

“We want the players to feel welcomed and are treated well so they are likely to return.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Camels suffer tough week

    Camels suffer tough week

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532773 A week full of promise quickly turned to a tough pill to swallow for the Casey Cardinia Country Week team. The Camels suffered…

  • Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Robbers target jewellery stores, Berwick man taken to hospital

    Two jewellery stores were targeted on Tuesday 17 February causing a Berwick man to be taken to hospital following a violent encounter. Police responded to reports of three masked males…

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

    Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous week for the Liberals. The almost…