BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » Suicide bid in police cell

Suicide bid in police cell

A PRISONER tried to kill himself in Narre Warren police station last Thursday, after spending 72 days in police holding cells.
The man, who had been transported from Dandenong police station holding cells on Monday, was on remand pending a court appearance and had been moved between various stations over the past two and a half months.
The State Opposition has been quick to label the situation an absolute disgrace, and said it was not up to police to ‘babysit’ prisoners.
Opposition police spokesperson Kim Wells said overcrowding in the Victorian corrections system, exacerbated by the delayed opening of the new remand prison, has meant more front-line police had been taken off the beat to look after prisoners in police cells.
“This is a responsibility of the Corrections Department, not Narre Warren police.
“I have been told that there was an issue of overflow from Dandenong police station and because of this, surrounding stations were being lumbered with prisoners,” he said. “Why the prisoner was housed for such a long time in police holding cells is beyond me. Tim Holding must immediately explain to Victorians why community safety is being placed at risk with so many front-line police being taken off the beat to look after prisoners in police cells.
The Liberal candidate for Gembrook, Simon Wildes, also weighed into the issue this week, saying more jails needed to be opened to urgently reduce the number of prisoners being held in police cells.
Mr Wildes said the State Government’s plans to restrict the use of suspended sentences would also add further pressure to Victoria’s prison system and the matter needed to be addressed immediately.
Casey District Inspector Robert Hill was reluctant to say this week just how many officers were used to monitor the police holding cells at Narre Warren, citing security reasons.
However, he confirmed there had been an incident last Thursday morning where a prisoner had attempted to commit suicide.
“There was an attempt to take his own life and police intervened as a consequence.
“Managing prisoners is certainly fairly resource-intensive, but we are not a complex that normally houses long-term prisoners. The advantage was that we had adequate staff rostered on which saw timely intervention,” he said.
State Police Minister Tim Holding this week described the situation as unacceptable and disappointing.
His spokesperson said the State Government had been concerned for some time that there were too many people being held in police cells and, in a small number of cases, for far too long.
“The Government is doing something about this situation through the opening of a new remand centre and through the introduction of a new prison management system,” he said.
The prisoner was not seriously injured and was being housed at the Melbourne Assessment Prison.

Digital Editions


  • New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    New Library Lounge opens in Clyde

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534227 The Clyde Township Community Centre is now home to a new Library Lounge, providing residents in Clyde and…

More News

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…

  • New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    New Blokes Bible launched to support men’s mental health

    Long time Berwick resident Gregory Nanfra and David Cossigny are just two everyday blokes who met by chance on a backpacking trip in South America only to find out they…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Weekend of colour

    Weekend of colour

    It was a colourful weekend for more than 100 community members who attended the council’s annual rainbow picnic. Held at Berwick’s Old Cheese Factory on Saturday 7 February, over 120…

  • Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Cranbourne commuters question train reliability

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532942 Performance data shows the Cranbourne Line has broadly tracked close to Melbourne’s network-wide averages for reliability in recent years, but commuters say delays,…