BERWICK STAR NEWS
Home » No bus for Santa

No bus for Santa

Seven times John Alcock stood at the bus-stop in Narre Warren North waving at the driver to pick him up.

Each time, the bus drove straight past him without slowing down.

Mr Alcock, 67, uses the local bus line almost every day on bus route 841.

“I need to get from Narre Warren North to Fountain Gate Shopping Centre daily at the moment as I am Santa for two large stores try to bring a light and joy in the lives of children and their parents,” Mr Alcock said.

Over the last six weeks, he has been left at the stop on Belgrave-Hallam Road seven times.

“They cannot fail to see as I am standing on top of a hill in clear view from a huge distance,” he said.

“To make it worse I am on a walking stick and have already walked for half an hour to get there.

“There is no seat or shelter. The problem seems to be that the intersection at Narre Warren North Road and Belgrave-Hallam Road has recently been reconstructed with lights etc including a new bus stop a while ago and some divers have not accepted the repositioning of the bus stop.”

Mr Alcock said the problem is further compound by management telling drivers they do not start their shifts until the next stop nearly which is an hour further for him to walk to.

“I have been told by the drivers that some with not pick you up on the way even though they drive right past you,” he said.

“I know from working with the public for many years the one needs to use a great deal of common sense and even more compassion.

“On several occasions, I have been left standing for over an hour in rain, cold and in extreme heat.”

Mr Alcock recognised that “99 percent of the bus drivers are excellent, caring and compassionate”.

“When the bus doesn’t stop, it makes it very difficult for me. I am forced to wait at the stop for another 45 minutes for the next bus,” he said.

“I need to be on time because I have parents and children relying on me as Santa.”

Ventura Bus Line spokesperson said, “After speaking to our drivers we have realised that maybe the opening of the new bus-stop hasn’t been advertised as it should have been and we are currently going down the path of telling every driver and putting up notices in the depots.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Solar fire at Dandenong South warehouse

    Solar fire at Dandenong South warehouse

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534665 Fire crews were on scene at a solar fire at an industrial warehouse in Dandenong South on 13 February. Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV)…

  • Works start on 70 social-housing units in Dandenong

    Works start on 70 social-housing units in Dandenong

    Works have begun on 70 new social-housing apartments for low-income tenants in Dandenong’s CBD. Housing and Building Minister Harriet Shing turned the first sod on the $39 million project at…

  • Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Minister’s warm welcome to Wellsprings

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532816 Wellsprings for Women welcomed the Federal Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Dr Anne Aly, who saw first hand the South East-based centre’s efforts to…

  • Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Men’s Shed awards wombat warrior for special collaboration

    Akoonah Park Men’s Shed gave a unique honour last week to a woman who has dedicated many years to wildlife conservation, collaborating with the men’s group to create an innovative…

  • Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield festival returns

    Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run: Climbing New Heights Upper Beaconsfield will come alive on Sunday the 15th of February when the community hosts the annual Upper Beaconsfield Tower Run and Village…